Sunday, April 9, 2017

SOUTHERN PLAINS STYLE "DRAGONFLY" MOCCASINS

I just finished this pair of Southern Plains style tall top moccasins.  They have been a idea I have had rattling around in my brain for some time,  but I never seem to get the opportunity to do much open  work ( as most of my work is spoken for as I make it ).   


These were made using lightly smoked,  brain tanned hide which I had stored about 20 years ago.  I painted them with trade pigments,  and beaded them using 13/0 Czech cut beads and 24K Gold 13/0 cut beads.   The buttons are Czech glass buttons.  



The soles are rawhide,  and I constructed them like classic Southern Plains moccasins are made,  using a welt when I sewed on the sole.  

I had also purchased the glass buttons some time ago, and knew when I first saw them what I wanted to make with them.  


The backs of the moccasins.   I wanted these to feel "Happy" and whimsical.  And I find more and more my work taking a environmental theme,  and these and some other work which I will be making soon will deal with protecting the water.   Dragonfly's to me,  are all about water.  

Angela 

No comments: